When: July 16 - 30, 2019
Where: Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimmaron, NM
Nashua Valley Council will send 8 crews to Philmont in 2019. This will permit a total of 96 Scouts and Scouters from Nashua Valley Council to partake in one of Scouting’s most exciting high adventure opportunities.
The contingent will depart the Boston area on Tuesday, July 16, 2019, arrive at Philmont on Thursday, July 18, 2019 and return home on Tuesday, July 30, 2019.
The estimated cost is $2,200.00 per individual.
To request a Crew slot for 2019, a reservation fee of $500.00 per individual in the crew must be received by Carolyn Tobin at the Nashua Valley Council’s office in Lancaster no later than March 1, 2018. Please submit only one check per crew payable to "Nashua Valley Council, BSA". The reservation fee must be accompanied by a note containing the name and full contact information (including unit number, email, mailing address and phone numbers) of the adult advisors and include an initial estimate of the number of Scouts and adult Scouters that will comprise the crew.
Eligibility and crew size:
- Scouts and Scouters who did not attend Philmont in 2018 will be given preference should there be too many interested in the 2019 Nashua Valley Philmont council contingent.
- Participants must be 14 years of age or have completed 8th Grade and be at least 13 years of age prior to participating.
- All participants must be a registered with the Boy Scouts of America and all of the youths and adults must meet strict height and weight requirements as outlined on the BSA medical form.
- Including adult advisors, the maximum Crew size is 12 and the minimum is 7. Each Crew is required to have a majority of youth participants. The maximum number of adults (21 and over) is 4 per crew.
- Each crew is required to have at least 2 adult advisers. Nashua Valley Council encourgaes a minimum of 3 adults per crew. Philmont requires that 2 members of each crew be certified in Wilderness First Aid and 2 members be certified in CPR. Nashua Valley Council encourages all adults to be certified in both Wilderness First Aid and CPR.
If more crews apply to attend than Nashua Valley Council has slots for, a lottery to be held before April 1, 2018 to determine the crews that will participate. The reservation fee will be refunded to any crew not selected.
Important: By making the reservation payment, crews commit to making every payment in full and on a timely basis to council for the number of participants that the Crew committed to. Late payments or underpayments may result in cancelation of that crew's reservation. Although we try our very best to come in on budget, as this undertaking is over 20 months in the future, we are at the mercy of price increases from vendors such as eating establishments, excursion companies, airlines, lodging and bus transportation providers. Thus, the $2,200 fee is our best estimate at this point in time. There is no guaranty that this will fully cover the costs we will need to expend on this contingent, in which case Nashua Valley Council reserves the right to charge each unit its proportionate share of any deficit incurred. All payments are non-refundable as Nashua Valley Council enters in to binding commitments on your behalf. Should a crew member withdraw for any reason after any payment is made, that unit and crew will remain responsible for the payment in full for that member. Crew members can be substituted until about 90 days prior to the departure of the contingent.
The per person payment schedule is as follows: March 1, 2018 - $500 (initial deposit), June 1, 2018 - $425, September 1, 2018 - $425, December 1, 2018 - $425, and March 1, 2019 - $425. Please note that the council will only accept one check from each Crew for each payment.