When: July 10 - 24, 2018
Where: Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimmaron, NM
Nashua Valley Council will send 8 crews to Philmont in 2018. This will permit a total of 96 Scouts and Scouters from Nashua Valley Council to partake in one of Scouting’s most exciting high adventure opportunities.
The contingent will depart the Boston area on Tuesday, July 10, 2018, arrive at Philmont on Thursday, July 12, 2018 and return home on Tuesday, July 24, 2018.
The estimated cost is $2,100.00 per individual.
To request a Crew slot for 2018, a reservation fee of $500.00 per individual in the crew must be received by Carolyn Tobin at the Nashua Valley Council’s office in Lancaster no later than March 1, 2017. Please submit only one check per crew payable to "Nashua Valley Council, BSA". The reservation fee must be accompanied by a note containing the name and full contact information (including unit number, email, mailing address and phone numbers) of the adult advisors and include an initial estimate of the number of Scouts and adult Scouters that will comprise the crew.
Eligibility and crew size:
- Scouts and Scouters who did not attend Philmont in 2017 will be given preference should there be too many interested in the 2018 Nashua Valley Philmont council contingent.
- Participants must be 14 years of age or have completed 8th Grade and be at least 13 years of age prior to participating.
- All participants must be a registered with the Boy Scouts of America and all of the youths and adults must meet strict height and weight requirements as outlined on the BSA medical form.
- Including adult advisors, the maximum Crew size is 12 and the minimum is 7. Each Crew is required to have a majority of youth participants. The maximum number of adults (21 and over) is 4 per crew.
- Each crew is required to have at least 2 adult advisers. Philmont requires that 2 members of each crew be certified in Wilderness First Aid and 2 members be certified in CPR.
If more crews apply to attend than Nashua Valley Council has slots for, a lottery to be held before April 1, 2017 to determine the crews that will participate. The reservation fee will be refunded to any crew not selected.
By making the reservation payment, crews commit to making every payment in full and on a timely basis to council for the number of participants that the Crew committed to. Late payments or underpayments may result in cancelation of that crew's reservation.
The per person payment schedule is as follows: March 1, 2017 - $500.00 (initial deposit), June 1, 2017 - $400.00, September 1, 2017 - $400.00, December 1, 2017 - $400.00, and March 1, 2018 - $400.00. Please note that the council will only accept one check from each Crew for each payment.