Roman Focus and Adderall are both meant to help the brain, but they’re drastically different in effects. Roman Focus is a natural pill with herbs and vitamins that gently support your brain performance. The price? $48 a month. Adderall, on the other hand, is a prescription-only medication used for ADHD and narcolepsy. It has much stronger effects, but also side effects.
If you’re just looking for a slight brain boost, Roman Focus is a healthier long-term option. Adderall is more potent but due to the side effects and risks increasing with each day of usage, it is only a short-term solution for extreme cases. Keep in mind that Roman Focus has some downsides, such as lacking some core ingredients and the subscription model (though you can cancel the subscription at any time).
What do we recommend?
Natural Brain Supplements vs Prescription Drugs
At Nashua Valley, we’re the advocates of always going the natural route. However, we’re aware there are people who didn’t get the results they wanted from natural lifestyle modifications and are considering taking prescription drugs to improve their concentration and productivity.
Today, we’ll take a look at Roman Focus and Adderall to see which one is better for your specific situation. And how they compare to market-leading natural brain supplements.
About Roman Focus and Adderall
Roman Focus Overview
Roman is a reputable men’s health brand known for having in-house doctors and scientists formulating their products. One of these product’s we’re looking into today – Roman Focus.
With all natural ingredients, it’s a healthy alternative to classic drugs. Roman claims you can expect benefits within 30-60 minutes of ingestion, similar to drinking a cup of coffee, but with additional brain benefits.
With that said, the full scope of benefits of Roman Focus should be seen at 8-12 weeks of regular supplementation. We’ll talk about why that is in later sections.
Adderall is a prescription medication most of us are familiar with or have at least heard of. Its main purpose is to treat ADHD and narcolepsy. The main ingredients in Adderall, as we’ll talk in detail below, are amphetamine and dextroamphetamine, central nervous system (CNS) stimulants. These compounds alter your brain’s chemicals leading to improved impulse control.
Adderall is well-known for its rapid and potent effects in increasing focus, attention, and self-control in terms of distractions. It can be easily misused which leads to negative health effects. Even with proper use there’s a risk of dependency, due to its harshness.
Roman Focus’ Formula
Roman Focus is a much gentler formula. It works to give you a nudge in your memory, mood, and productivity among others, but with minimal risk of side effects.
Roman Focus Ingredients:
- Niacin (20 mg): Also known as Vitamin B3, niacin supports our body in converting food into energy, along with supporting eye and skin health. We already get enough through foods in most cases.
- Vitamin B6 (1.3 mg) and Vitamin B12 (100 mcg): Again, these vitamins play key roles in brain focus and mood regulation, but you won’t notice much difference unless you aren’t getting optimal levels through your diet.
- Bacopa monnieri (300 mg): Bacopa is a tried and tested nootropic. This ancient herb is used for improving memory and reducing anxiety.
- American ginseng root (300 mg): Unlike its Asian counterpart, American Ginseng is not that thoroughly researched, but what little human evidence we do have shows it helps to increase alertness without causing jitters.
- L-Theanine (200 mg): Found in tea and some mushrooms, L-Theanine promotes alpha brainwave activity which causes relaxation without making you sleepy. It also smoothens the effects of caffeine.
- Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline (196 mg): Or simply Alpha GPC. This compound supports brain health, specifically in areas linked to your memory and learning. The dosage that studies use is around 1200mg, which means it may not be effective here.
- Caffeine (100 mg): One of the most widely used natural stimulants for concentration and productivity, there’s not much we can say that hasn’t been said already about caffeine.
While natural doesn’t always mean 100% safe, the dosages in Roman Focus are generally seen as effective and healthy for daily use.
As we said, the two main components of Adderall are the following.
- Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine: These directly impact brain neurotransmitters to improve focus, especially for individuals with ADHD. They help to increase the amount of dopamine “floating” in your brain which makes you more interested in everyday tasks – helping you stay productive for longer.
Adderall works fast and its effects are substantial. Due to this potency, it can also lead to more pronounced side effects.
Recommendations for Different Groups
When it comes to choosing between Roman Focus and Adderall, the decision boils down to your goals.
If you want a natural boost: Roman Focus is the obvious way to go. It offers a blend of ingredients that can help improve concentration, energy, and cognitive function without making you dependent. Roman Focus is especially good for adults who want to maintain peak brain function in work and everyday life, students preparing for exams, and professionals looking to counteract negative mental effects of stress.
If you have been diagnosed with ADHD: If you’ve already tried the natural route and nothing works, it might be the time to consider Adderall with your MD. There’s no natural supplement that can come close to the potency of Adderall’s effects.
Keep in mind however, that while Adderall boosts your focus and mental capacities, it doesn’t actually improve brain health or long-term cognitive function. As a stimulant it only makes you more productive and efficient. Long-term use sometimes leads to reduced brain function in some areas, especially because of the withdrawals once you stop taking it.
Safety & Side Effects
The obvious winner in this department is Roman Focus. Its ingredients are natural and well-dosed for the most part. The risk of side effects is far lower than with Adderall, but it can still lead to some of the following in sensitive people:
With Adderall, the list of potential side effects is long, here are some of the most commonly reported ones:
- Increased heart rate or elevated blood pressure.
- Anxiety or mood swings.
- Loss of appetite.
- Dependency, especially with prolonged use.
How Soon Can You Expect First Results?
Roman Focus: Within 30-60 minutes you should feel the caffeine+l-theanine kick. It shouldn’t be the same as your typical cup of coffee, due to l-theanine relaxing effects that balance the positives of caffeine while reducing the jitters. For other ingredients in Roman Focus, like Bacopa Monnieri, you’ll have to wait at least 8 weeks to see all the benefits.
Adderall: The effects of Adderall are more potent and faster. Expect rapid improvements in focus and alertness within 20 to 60 minutes after consumption. Onset time depends on your metabolism, genetics, and whether you took it on an empty stomach.
Pricing: Adderall vs Roman Focus
Roman Focus comes with a monthly subscription of $48 per bottle. There is also a quarterly subscription option at $120, which brings the price down to $40 per month. All options come with free shipping.
Adderall pricing, meanwhile, depends on the dosage, location, and whether you’re getting a generic version of the brand-name drug. Without insurance the cost can go from $30 to $150 for a month’s supply.
Choosting between Roman Focus and Adderall is a big decision.
Roman Focus offers natural and gentle boost. You can easily stop taking it without any side effects or dependancy.
None of this can be said for Adderall. Unless you have been specifically diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderall by your doctor, it’s best to look for the best natural nootropics which can give you good results without any risk.
Roman Focus is good, but there are better brain supplements available with a little research.
What do we recommend?